Monday, August 30, 2010

Own It

Looking at myself today, I began to get the negative attitude I tend to get while looking at my face.  It's as if I am unable to see it as a whole but instead find little bits and pieces to be unhappy with...today it was the luggage my mother so generously  bequeathed me that likes to live under my eyes.

Then, I just told myself to snap the F out of it.  I spent too many years stuck in this frame of mind-maybe it came from beginning modeling and pageants at 13...or maybe it's just the way American women in general deal with their reflection in the mirror.  Whatever it is, I'm shutting it down.

I look at photos of myself during my teen years, during my early twenties, and can't believe how much time I wasted comparing myself to others and/or being generally unsatisfied with my skin/hair/weight/fillintheblank.  I just know that in a few years, I'll look back at myself in the present...I don't want to feel angry about wasted time in negativity.  I want to know that I owned my inimitable translation of womanhood.

I begun this a few years ago, but it's amazing how easy it is to backslide-especially after a big change (in my case, motherhood).  It takes practice and consistency-but I will do this.  I want my baby girl to grow up and see herself through God's eyes rather than the fickle lens of popular idealogy.

2 comments:

♥Kadence♥ said...

Val, you are beautiful spiritual women inside and out. You are a great example for your daughter and she will love you even more for what you can teach her to be a strong women. We all have our moments and that is ok, but just keep trucking on girl!!!

Val said...

Thanks, girlfriend! xoxo